Clarke Quay and Read Bridge

  • Clarke Quay and Read Bridge
Clarke Quay and Read Bridge
S$ 100.00
Item Code : L0010SR
Availability: In Stock
Artist/Cartographer: G R Lambert
Image size: 380mm x 240mm
* Method:

QTY :

Description:
Clarke Quay, named after Sir Andrew Clarke, second governor of the Straits Settlements from 1873-75, extends left of this bridge named after the prominent Scottish merchant, William Henry Macleod Read. One of the foremost public figures of the time, Read arrived in Singapore in 1841.  In 1887, Read himself laid the first cylinder of the bridge which was officially opened in 1889. Clarke Quay was known locally as Chau Chun Tau - jetty for boats carrying firewood, due to the small boats carrying firewood from Indonesia which made their way upriver and berthed here. An indication of date is given by the presence of Fort Canning Lighthouse which was erected in 1903.

All our reproduction photographs are double matted (unless otherwise stated) and ready for framing.
*Please note colour of the actual reproduction photograph is slightly different from what you see here.