Raffles Place, 1922

  • Raffles Place, 1922
Raffles Place, 1922
S$ 100.00
Item Code : L0831RP
Availability: In Stock
Artist/Cartographer:
Image size:
* Method:

QTY :

Description:
In 1823 on the advice of architect George Coleman, the hillock near Battery Road was levelled, the area cleared formed Raffles Place. Looking towards the D'Almeida Street end of Raffles Place, this view is dominated by the Mercantile Bank Building, established on this site in 1855. This building was demolished 1929 to make way for its successor, completed 1930, which was demolished in 1990 to make way for the MRT Station. On the right with its statue of Eros is Robinson's Department Store, this burned down in November 1972. Opposite stands John Little's 3-storey store which replaced former premises in 1910. This was bought over by Robinson's, then sold to developers who demolished it in 1973. In 1982 Shell Tower was built on the site. Both establishments have moved with the times, yet remain opposite each other, now on either side of Orchard Road which replaced Raffles Place as the island's main retail and shopping centre.

All our reproduction photographs are double matted (unless otherwise stated) and ready for framing.
*Please note colour of the actual reproduction photograph is slightly different from what you see here.