Tanjong Pagar Docks, 1890s

  • Tanjong Pagar Docks, 1890s
Tanjong Pagar Docks, 1890s
S$ 100.00
Item Code : L0910TP
Availability: In Stock
Artist/Cartographer: G R Lambert
Image size:
* Method:


This view looks south east across Victoria Dock where an American built  barque is berthed; sailing ships such as this were rapidly being replaced by steamships, such as the two occupying the rear of the dock. Running along the side of the dock is the boat building shed and the company's timber office. Officially opened in 1868, Victoria Graving Dock was the Tanjong Pagar Dock Company's first dry dock. Albert Dock, in the background, was officially opened in 1879. In 1913 the company became the Singapore Dock Company, which in 1964 became the Port of Singapore Authority. The taking of this photograph must have been as something of an occasion; all eyes are turned toward the camera and no doubt everyone had been instructed to stand completely still while the photographer took this shot.

All our reproduction photographs are double matted (unless otherwise stated) and ready for framing.
*Please note colour of the actual reproduction photograph is slightly different from what you see here.