Singapore River and Fort Canning

  • Singapore River and Fort Canning
Singapore River and Fort Canning
S$ 100.00
Item Code : L0117SR
Availability: In Stock
Artist/Cartographer: G R Lambert
Image Size: 380mm x 240mm
* Method:

QTY :

Description:
Note the absence of a bridge across the river between North and South Bridge roads; the former iron Elgin Bridge has been removed and is the process of being replaced by its arched concrete successor, not yet in evidence, which was officially opened 1929. Behind the jetty, which marks the former site of Stephen Hallpike's boatyard, stands the block of buildings known as the Government or Public Offices; today's Empress Place Building. Built 1864-67, as the new Court House, the central block was designed by J.F.A. McNair, Colonial Architect of Public Works. Subsequent additions and extensions augmented the block which was extensively renovated in 1988-89, and emerged as the Empress Place Building, renamed after the adjoining public space named Empress Place by the Municipal Council in 1907. Its next role will be that of Asian Civilisations Museum.

 

All our reproduction photographs are double matted (unless otherwise stated) and ready for framing.
*Please note colour of the actual reproduction photograph is slightly different from what you see here.